Do you feel like you are the best-kept secret in your industry? Or maybe you feel like you are doing a lot of advertising but not being noticed by the right people. You’re in luck!
In this episode, we welcome Amanda Berlin, who has more than a decade in the New York City public relations world and now uses her pitch powers for good. Amanda helps entrepreneurs step into their presence, create a story that inspires others, and spread their message in the media. Amanda will share the importance of PR and give us an inside look at her three-part framework that has helped her clients get featured in all types of media.
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the complete episode:
- Gain insight into how PR can help you stop being the best-kept secret in your industry and get your ideal clients requesting more information on how to work with you.
- You will understand the power of PR vs. a paid advertisement.
- Get an inside look and break down of Amanda’s proven framework.
Who is Amanda Berlin
- Amanda has more than a decade in the New York City Public Relations world.
- She has over 12 years of corporate experience.
- For 10 years now, she has been running her own PR consulting business.
How Amanda works with her clients
- Amanda helps entrepreneurs who are feeling lost in the noise.
- She helps them find authentic ways to be more seen by the right people.
- She works with her clients to help them get featured in media like Business Insider, Entrepreneur on Fire, WNYF, FOX 5 Affiliate to Bustle.com.
- She shows them how to use PR to become an industry expert.
- Amanda arms soul-powered business owners with the ideas and skillsets to go from the hidden industry gem to a recognizable, trusted expert.
Leaving the corporate world
- Amanda was helping some of the loudest guys in the room be louder than their competition.
- She felt burnt out and like her soul was dying.
- She left the corporate world feeling demoralized and dejected and done with communications and marketing.
- After reflecting, Amanda realized she still had a passion for the work that she trained to do, and she could do it in a way that felt sustainable on a moral level to her.
- Public relations is a compelling means of marketing.
- Creating a relationship with your public.
- PR is earned media.
Measuring ROI from PR
- There are ways to quantify the impact of PR.
- You can monitor the amount of money you spent on an ad, and the number of impressions received.
- You can monitor how many views a television segment received, but you can’t quantify how many people took action on it or how many people will take action on it in the future.
- Success in PR is the work of building on several different layers of tactics that are going to create a relationship with a potential client that will inspire them to take action.
The number of touchpoints in a healthy PR campaign
- The number is intuitive.
- You have to have many different actions or things that will engage a potential client before making a buying decision.
- Touchpoints will be reduced if you can engage with a potential client in a way that inspires trust more quickly.
Working with the best-kept secrets
- Amanda’s recurring mantra from people who land in her programs is that they’re good at what they do, but few people know about them.
- Pay attention to your closest circle, the people who know you personally but have no idea what you do professionally or can’t tell someone else.
- Identifying your strategic partners is the starting point.
- When you partner with someone who has created an audience that trusts them, that audience is predisposed to trust you when they recommend you.
Collaboration as a tactic
- Look for people who do something different from you before you collaborate with people who do the same thing.
- Approach with curiosity to get on an ally’s radar.
- The initial approach? Only a conversation.
The power of PR vs. Paid advertisement
- Amanda believes money is best spent entirely on PR because advertising isn’t going to connect you with potential clients.
- Visibility is more powerful when it appears as though you have earned it.
- Creating relationships is what is going to influence the bottom line.
Breaking down Amanda’s framework
- Amanda teaches marketing and visibility through the lens of a three-part framework.
- The most intimate type of visibility is the innermost concentric circle of collaborations and alliances.
- The outermost circle is media, which validates your business and gives you credibility.
Prioritizing PR as a solopreneur or a smaller firm
- It is a priority to get your business out there.
- It is essential to streamline your message.
- Once you create ease in your message, you can hone in on what will be possible for you to execute.
- You can use PR to become an industry expert.
Working with Amanda
- Amanda’s work provides direction on where the focus needs to be.
- She helps shift the focused attention to the ways that will have the most significant impact on a business when counting visibility.
- She helps bring in more clients with tactics that move the needle.
What Amanda wants to be remembered for
- Amanda wants to be remembered as a champion for others and an enthusiastic, hype woman.
3 Powerful Quotes from this Episode
8:42 – “PR is the work of building on several different layers of tactics that will create a substantial and personal enough relationship with a potential client that will inspire them to take action.
12:34– “When you partner with someone who has created an audience that trusts them, when they put you in front of that audience, that audience is predisposed to trust you because they trust the person introducing you.”
19:38– “When you devote your time and energy to creating relationships that earn you the opportunity to be seen, that’s what’s going to influence the bottom line when you are a smaller business or a solo entrepreneur.”
About Amanda Berlin
Amanda has created a library of template guides, training. She works one-on-one with clients to guide them in strategic storytelling and media relations based on her 12 years of experience guiding strategy for major brands in the corporate world. Amanda and her clients have been featured in all types of media. She’s the host of The Empowered Publicity Podcast. She loves arming soul-powered business owners with the ideas and skillset they need to go from hidden industry gems to recognizable, trusted experts. Amanda has spoken on visibility, publicity, and entrepreneurship at BizChix Live, Style Collective Raleigh and New York City, Body Local, Hoboken Entrepreneur Group, and more.
Connect with Amanda Berlin
Are you enjoying The MindShift Podcast?
Click here to follow on Apple Podcasts. While there, please leave a 5-star rating and review. Also, if you haven’t done so already, join the free MindShift Community to connect with other like-minded people. Don’t forget to tag me @mrdarrellevans on Instagram.
Thanks for listening,